Richard S.

April 5, 2011
Freakin’ wonderful piece of work.  I can’t wait until I get to the range.  I rcv’d the box yesterday, and today is my birthday.  Thanks for the present!

Nothing mentioned below can detract from the obvious time, thought, and engineering that went into this stock.  Owner adjustments are inevitable for a rifle manufactured in so many different places and, in China, likely by prison labor.  You should see the welds on my Norinco. Oy! Top marks to the fine folks at SGW.  Thanks for all your hard work and dedication!


SGW materials assessment: GOLLY!  This is really nice stuff.  Well engineered, well worth the 11 month wait.  :^)

Installation time: 2 hours (extended because of crappy Norinco workmanship)

Tools needed: Allen wrenches, small screwdrivers (as probes, not for screws), a small rubber tapping mallet (handy, not required), C clamp (maybe), and Dremel Motor Tool in hot standby (see below).

BEFORE you start assembly

Watch the 2 part installation video twice.  Once when you get your tracking number, and then the day before you plan on doing the work.  The written instructions are fine, but you aren’t the person who wrote them, who already knows how to do the installation.

I won’t rehash what everyone else has written, I’ll just cover my issues.


Fitting the Stock Retainer Guide

– This *was not* a simple minor filing adjustment as mentioned in the video.  I do not hold SGW responsible for the crappy workmanship of the Norinco beater (that shoots really straight) I chose for the project.  It just required a lot of grinding with the Dremel to make it fit.

– Pull the trigger as far out of the stock as you can and tape it to the stock during fitting.  It flopped around a lot and got in my way repeatedly until I taped it down.

– Have a Sharpie marker on hand.  Once you grind/file off the black finish on the metal part, a Sharpie can be used to tag the places you need to touch up.  Black on silver is very visible.  Rinse, lather, repeat.  Take your time, be patient.  I have a nice tight fit.


Reinstalling the Trigger Assembly

– The flat platform that the rear tang sits on was just a hair too high for my trigger assembly to click into place.  I roughed it up ever so slightly with the Dremel, and then cleaned that up with a flat file (which fit perfectly in the slot).  All is well, and a nice fit.


Upper Hand Guard

-The instructions recommend a C clamp if need be to get the holes to align.  I needed that.  I hope that after firing it will align without the use of a C clamp, or I will have to make adjustments with the Dremel.  I don’t want to stress the plastic for any length of time.

– One design gotcha you will have to take into consideration.  I shoot ComBlock surplus ammo.  Corrosive, doncha know.  This means I have to remove the gas tube for cleaning after every shoot.  The upper handguard will have to be removed to access the gas tube for cleaning (8 screws).  I REALLY don’t want to use a C clamp every time I work on/clean the rifle.  That would be bad for the overall life of the stock.


Front Tri-Rail Mount

– The written instructions are accurate…but not as easy as laying out the parts and using deductive reasoning.

– 2 cap screw were missing from the parts bag, but nothing I can’t replace with a quick trip to the hardware store. Until then, the side 2 rails will have to wait.


Trigger Buffing

– The trigger is a grouping of 3 stamped parts.  My wife found it to be a little rough to the touch, and the tip sharp.  I will be buffing it out a little with the Dremel.


Extended Magazine Release Lever

– My wife found it to be a little sharp.  I am going to experiment with wrapping the tab with electrical tape, rubber, or shrink tube.


Richard in WA



Polishing and Range Report




I used a half-round file to knock down the stamped edges and face of the trigger, then 220 grit sandpaper for smoothing, and finished with emery cloth.  Much smoother to the touch.  I’ll blue it and the other bits I want refinished it when I get a chance.


Pistol grip at magazine notch

The molding was a little knife-edgy around the magazine notch.  When picking up the piece or resetting the grip in my hand, it was a little less comfy than I would liked.  A few seconds with 220 sandpaper and emery cloth rounded off the edges.


Upper hand guard tightness

The forward hand guard originally required a C clamp to align the screw holes for the rifle I chose. Much pressure needed to assemble.  This would be bad for the over lifetime of the plastic parts, a PITA to breakdown for cleaning the gas tube, and clamping would be impossible with optics in place.

My handy Dremel tool, with a half inch or so diameter sanding drum, removed the VERY small amount of wood (yes, there are 2 wood parts in the stock) that took the pressure off the hand guard while still giving a tight fit.


Range report

How can I put this to maintain my dignity, and not have folks think I’m a shill for SWG?

How about this?  OH MY FREAKIN’ GOD I LOVE THIS THING!!!!!

4x tactical style IR scope. Benched the piece to get proper scope placement and get the bore laser zeroed on the target.  Tightened all the screws and…

Bullseye, bullseye bullseye. My wife picked it up and put her first round through the absolute center of her target.  Woo freakin’ Hoo

And if that’s not cool enough, the little brass deflector flappy door made a cute little pile of brass on the bench.  No bending over to clean up the casings.  :^)

The piece looks great.  It turned a lot of heads at the range.  Everyone came over to look at it, and all but started drooling when I offered them a mag with 10 rounds.

I decided to hold off building out the second stock until the first one was range tested and to see if it fit my wife as well.  Looks like I start building unit 2 very soon.

It was well worth the 11 month wait.

Richard in WA

Comments are closed.